To The Haldimand Press
HAGERSVILLE—Due to high COVID-19 transmission occurring in the community, West Haldimand General Hospital (WHGH) has made the difficult decision to implement visitor restrictions effective Wednesday, August 3, 2022. This means there will be no social visitors allowed at WHGH for the foreseeable future.
To ensure patients have the support they need, patients will be allowed two designated Essential Care Providers (ECPs); however, only one ECP will be allowed at a time. Visiting hours will be available from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.
WHGH understands how critical the presence of family members and loved ones are to our patients; however, by limiting the number of people in our facilities through visitor restrictions, we are ensuring safety for our patients, clients, staff, and physicians.
All ECPs must:
- Monitor for COVID-19 symptoms before each visit. Symptomatic or COVID exposed/positive ECPs (regardless of vaccination status) are not permitted to visit.
- Complete the self-screening questions posted at our entrances.
- Wear appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE), including the hospital issued mask received at self screening, and keep it on for the duration of the visit.
- Follow strict hand hygiene guidelines.
- All ECPs visiting our inpatient units must sign a form that indicates that they will be compliant with the hospital’s guidelines.
- One designated ECP will be permitted at a time (some exceptions may apply).
- Two ECPs can be designated and are not interchangeable.
- Physical distancing must be maintained. No eating or drinking is permitted while visiting.
- Frequent hand cleaning is required.
Some exceptions are in place for certain patients, including patients who are eligible for a designated (ECP):
- End of Life – Palliative Care
- Patients with intellectual/communication impairments (cognitive impairment leading to agitation and inability to console; communication impairment which affects care)
As well, patients visiting the Emergency Department and outpatient clinics who require assistance may have one support person only.
These updated COVID-19 visitation guidelines are based on direction from West Haldimand General Hospital’s Infection Prevention & Control (IPAC) experts, in collaboration with our Regional COVID-19 Taskforce partners.
We understand it is difficult for families and friends to be separated from their loved ones during this period. We encourage people to use technology to connect with our patients.
To see our most up-to-date visiting guidelines, please visit: