HALDIMAND — Mayor Shelley Ann Bentley has resigned from her role on the Grand Erie Public Health (GEPH) Board.
As previously reported, Integrity Commissioner David Boghosian found Bentley guilty of four code-of-conduct violations earlier this year following an investigation into leaked board of health documents. Based on Boghosian’s recommendation, Council voted to penalize Bentley with a 120-day suspension of pay and a required public apology to GEPH Board Chair and Norfolk Mayor Amy Martin.
Bentley’s letter to Martin, included in Norfolk Council’s November 25, 2025 agenda package, reads:
“I have been directed by Haldimand County Council to apologize for leaking the confidential documents for the purpose of attempting to damage Mayor Martin’s prospects in the 2025 provincial election.
“I acknowledge that I did release documents subject to this investigation, both to a journalist and on my public Facebook page in May of 2025. The Integrity Commissioner and Haldimand County Council have found that my actions contravened Haldimand County’s Code of Conduct.
“I regret that the situation has been perceived as an attempt to damage your prospects in the 2025 Provincial Election. For that, I offer my apology.
“I look forward to moving past this issue and hope we can maintain a positive relationship that serves the hardworking people of both Haldimand and Norfolk.”
The confidential emails related to Bentley’s removal from the merger process that formed GEPH. The documents first appeared publicly in an anonymous Facebook post around the time of the election, which ultimately saw Martin lose to incumbent MPP Bobbi Ann Brady, and were determined by Boghosian to have originated as hardcopies printed for Bentley by her assistant Kendle Columbus.
The investigation was initiated by former Haldimand CAO Cathy Case (who was later fired by Bentley utilizing strong mayor powers) and Norfolk CAO Al Meneses. Boghosian’s report reviewed Bentley’s removal from the merger process, her political friendship with Brady, her husband’s friendship with the anonymous poster, and the timing of the post.
While adamant she had no role in the documents’ original release, Bentley released the documents on her personal Facebook page on May 30, stating, “There are persons within both counties who think it is better for you, the public, to not see these.”
Citing a need for transparency, Bentley said she had “decided to let you decide for yourself whether these documents being found online should have resulted in multiple investigations costing thousands of taxpayer dollars, and dozens of hours of paid time from officials in both counties being wasted.”
Speaking with The Press in June following the investigation, Martin rejected Bentley’s reasoning, stating, “We’re not operating in a cloak of secrecy here because we feel entitled to do so. There are certain rules and regulations … to carry out the duties that are before us as elected officials. We either follow the rules or we don’t. You can’t be in a leadership position, and I suppose, cherry pick when you’re going to hold integrity.”
The Press reached out to Bentley on her decision to resign from the board.
“In the months ahead, I need to focus on several important community matters, and I believe this issue has received the attention it deserves. It is time to move forward,” she replied.
She said her intention in serving on the board was to “advocate for improved healthcare and services for our community. I remain committed to those goals and wish the board continued success in its work.”
Bentley’s hope following her apology is to “move forward in a positive and constructive direction for our constituents.”
In a follow up with The Press, Martin confirmed that the apology was received as information by both GEPH and Norfolk Council.
“The letter acknowledges most of the role played by Mayor Bentley,” said Martin. “I am looking to move forward with a continued focus on service delivery for residents.”
She said the GEPH board continues to work through the “many merger-related duties” that will likely take years to fully complete, while maintaining a “high level of service delivery focused on health protection and promotion to our communities.”
This work includes a “full review of all programs, services, and staff needed to get the job done in the next six months”, an asset management strategy to determine service locations, and preparing for the upcoming legislative changes.
On her future working relationship with Mayor Bentley, Martin expects they will have “very little interaction” following Bentley’s resignation from GEPH.
“However, I have always believed we had a good working relationship and that is why I ensured her participation early on in the merger discussions, despite her not having a seat (from the former Haldimand Norfolk Health Unit),” said Martin. “I’m sure that if her intentions are good and Mayor Bentley also wishes to move forward as her apology states, we will be just fine.”
Following a unanimous vote at a Haldimand Council meeting on November 18, Ward 2 Councillor John Metcalfe will now fill Haldimand’s lone seat on the GEPH board until November 14, 2026.
Metcalfe brings experience from his time on the advisory committee for Haldimand-Norfolk Health and Social Services, which provided feedback to the former Haldimand Norfolk Health Unit Board of Health. The former board was operated fully by Norfolk Council, with no Haldimand representative having voting powers.
Now armed with a vote at the board table, Metcalfe promised to be “dedicated to ensuring Haldimand’s voice is heard and that we receive fair and equitable services.”





