HNHU confirms COVID death

By Haldimand Press Staff

HALDIMAND—The Haldimand Norfolk Health Unit has confirmed the death of a resident due to COVID-19.

The resident had been living in the community prior to hospitalization.

“I’d like to extend my sincerest condolences to the individual’s family and friends at this difficult time,” says Medical Officer of Health Dr. Shanker Nesathurai. “COVID-19 remains present in our community, which is why we must continue to be vigilant in preventing its spread, particularly to those most vulnerable to complications from the disease.”

This brings the health district’s total deaths related to COVID-19 to 33. Of those, 27 were residents of Anson Place in Hagersville and one was a migrant worker connected to the outbreak at Scotlynn Group’s Vittoria farm. No details have been released on the remaining deaths. In the interests of privacy, no further details were available on the most recent death as of press time.

An additional five residents who tested positive for COVID-19 have passed from unrelated issues. As of press time, Haldimand Norfolk had 737 cases total, with 51 cases being active.

On December 14, 2020 Haldimand Norfolk Health Unit declared two outbreaks at group homes run by the Norfolk Association for Community Living.

“A public health management plan has been instituted.” said Matt Terry, Director of Corporate Communications for Norfolk County.

No further details were provided on the outbreaks.

Leave a comment

Send a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *