Province beginning to re-open, lift restrictions: School closures extended to end of school year

By Kaitlyn Clark

The Haldimand Press

HALDIMAND—Restrictions that were put in place to control the spread of COVID-19 began loosening both provincially and locally this past week.

Many businesses across the province were able to re-open their doors for the first time in months this past week as part of Phase 1 of Ontario’s three stage reopening plan. In time for the long weekend, golf courses, marinas, boat clubs, boat launches, and animal boarders were able to open on Saturday, May 16, 2020, along with private parks and campgrounds to prepare for the season. There were some caveats, such as that clubhouses could only open for washroom access. On Tuesday, May 19 a long list of businesses were allowed to open so long as they are not in shopping malls, have separate street-front entrances, and can put measures in place to enable social distancing. Along with retail stores, this also included recreational activities for individuals and non-team sport competitions that can be played with distance and no spectators; animal services, particularly pet care; household services such as cleaners and cooks; and certain health and medical services, such as in-person counselling and scheduled surgeries. Additionally, essential workplace limits on construction were lifted.

Haldimand County followed the province’s lead with this plan, announcing the opening of boat launches for May 16. For May 19, Haldimand announced the opening of parking lots at trailheads and public parks, which had been closed to avoid people gathering in those areas, along with recreational courts and parks, such as tennis courts and skate parks. Having been open only to walk-through access recently, parks were fully opened on May 19 as well, allowing for activities such as picnics and fishing. However, playgrounds, pavilions, and picnic tables remain off limits “until further notice”. Additionally, the Port Maitland Park, including the pier, beach, and west boat launch, all remain closed.

Advertisement

 

“Port Maitland West will not open until piers and beaches are open for normal public use. Docks will not be put in immediately as they require inspections and seasonal maintenance, which will take some time,” said the County’s release.

“With the loosening of restrictions and greater access to outdoor amenities, we expect that the public will be respectful of social distancing guidelines, not congregate in groups larger than five people, and keep six feet away from other individuals,” said Mayor Ken Hewitt. “While these re-openings are a step in the right direction and welcome news, disregarding the guidelines puts our community at risk. I implore everyone to exercise common sense, be vigilant, and share these spaces responsibly.”

HALDIMAND/NORFOLK—This chart summarizes the number of cases per day since the identification of the first case. There is some variability in the cases reported on any particular day (dark green bars). The light green line represents the cumulative frequency, or the number of total cases as the pandemic progresses. For up-to-date statistics locally, visit hnhu.org/covid-19.

While the Province is taking steps towards ‘normal’, the Declaration of Emergency was extended on May 12 until at least June 2. The emergency was first declared on March 17.

“We are making steady progress to flatten the curve and get more people back to work safely … but we still have far to go in defeating COVID-19,” said Premier Doug Ford. “Extending the declaration of emergency will allow us to continue to take action to protect Ontarians, while carefully and cautiously reopening more parts of our economy.”

One place that won’t be opening any time soon is schools. Ford announced May 19 that all publicly-funded schools will remain closed for the duration of the 2019-20 school year. Online learning will continue, with report cards being distributed at the end of June. Grand Erie District School Board said they are planning how to best allow students to retrieve their belongings from schools. A gradual opening of child care is expected to begin with Phase 2 of the reopening, and summer day camps may be permitted in July or August, but overnight camps will remain prohibited. Minister of Education Stephen Lecce announced an expanded summer learning plan to ensure students are on track for next school year.

The Haldimand Norfolk Health Unit (HNHU) is taking a similar approach. While Medical Officer of Health Dr. Shanker Nesathurai ended one of his most contentious orders on May 15, which banned the occupancy of secondary residences by people living outside the health district, he still asked that they stay away.

“Residents of Haldimand and Norfolk have made many sacrifices fighting the spread of COVID-19 through social distancing and other measures,” said Nesathurai. “Rescinding this public health order, however, should not be interpreted to mean that this battle is over. Social distancing measures remain in effect and are critical to completely breaking the coronavirus’ chain of transmission in our community.”

“The risk of transmission is increased when people engage in repeated non-essential travel. The transmission of COVID-19 only requires one cough,” continued Nesathurai. “If travel is absolutely necessary, please bring your own groceries and fuel your vehicle up in your home community. And if you’re thinking about a day trip, please consider putting it off for a little while longer.”

Matt Terry, Director of Corporate Communications, added, “It’s really key for people to remember that, although parts of the economy are starting to slowly reopen, we still have positive cases in the community and in our long-term care (LTC) homes, so it’s critical that people remain vigilant.”

May 19 Dr. Merrilee Fullerton, Minister of Long-term Care, announced that the government will be launching an independent commission into Ontario’s long-term care system beginning in September. This announcement came after multiple class-action lawsuits were announced against LTC facilities across the province, which claim the homes either were not prepared for the outbreak or did not take appropriate steps to contain it. Anson Place in Hagersville is one of six homes listed in a lawsuit against parent company Responsive Group, as reported previously in The Press’ May 14 edition.

“We have been clear the long-term care system in Ontario is broken. We must act quickly and decisively, and that is why an independent non-partisan commission is the best way to conduct a thorough and expedited review,” said Fullerton in a release. “As we all take steps to contain this pandemic, the commission will get down to work and provide us with guidance on how to improve the long-term care system and better protect residents and staff from any future outbreaks…. Ontarians need and deserve answers, and let me assure you, they will get them.”

As of press time, Anson Place had four retirement residents and 19 LTC residents still considered positive for COVID-19. At its peak, a total of 72 residents between the two sections of the home had tested positive, 27 of whom died due to the virus. 

HNHU announced May 14 that one resident of Cedar Crossing Retirement Home had tested positive, and on May 18 that two residents of Norfolk Hospital Nursing Home had tested positive but did not have any symptoms at that time. Tests were ordered for all residents and staff of both homes. Some had already returned negative, and others were awaiting results. A full public health management plan had been recommended or already initiated at the homes.

As of press time, Haldimand had 206 positive cases, 85 of whom had officially recovered and 31 of whom has passed away due to complications from the virus.

 

Updates

May 19, 2020 – Anson Place update received after press time

“Since my last update, two retirement residents have fully recovered from COVID-19, and one additional care centre resident has tested positive for COVID-19. This brings the total number of positive COVID-19 cases in our home to two in our retirement residence and 20 in our care centre,” said Lisa Roth, Executive Director. “I am cautiously optimistic that we will continue to see a decrease in positive COVID-19 case counts as we work with Public Health to resolve the remaining resident cases.”

May 20, 2020 – Haldimand COVID-19 numbers

Lab-confirmed, negative cases: 2,339

Lab-confirmed, positive cases:  207

Recovered: 87

Deaths:  31